Hello! Today will have a 2 part post. Part one: a natural recipe for deodorant you can make at home! and Part two: my journey through the grocery store today.
This is part one where I share my deodorant with you! This is NOT an antiperspirant deodorant. This is a ‘prevents sweat from stinking’ deodorant… so fair warning, you will sweat wearing this. Sweating in general doesn’t bother me. It’s when I start to smell my body detoxing and the funk in the sweat that makes me self-conscious. That’s why I love having this natural recipe to beat funky smells but not stop the benefits of sweating.
Sweating is a perfectly natural part of life. It has many benefits and it is nothing to be ashamed of, but proud of… your body is taking good care of itself. Here are some health benefits to sweating:
- Sweat eases pain by stimulating neurochemical pathways in the brain, resulting in the production of endorphins that act as natural painkillers – James Ting, MD, a sports medicine physician at Hoag Orthopedic Institute in Irvine, California.
- Sweat reduces pimples by opening your pores and releasing built up gunk. Be sure to wash your face after sweating otherwise the gunk stays on your skin. -Whitney Bowe, MD, a dermatologist in Briarcliff Manor, New York. Cavea
- Sweat helps the body detox by flushing the body of system-clogging substances like alcohol, cholesterol, and salt- Melissa Morin, an exercise physiologist and Senior Director of Group Exercise at New York Sports Club.
- Sweat helps prevent colds and other infections because human perspiration contains a naturally occurring antimicrobial peptide called dermcidin, which has been proven to fight tuberculosis germs and other dangerous pathogens, -Dr. Bowe from a study at Eberhard Karls University Tubingen in Germany
- Sweat helps regulate body temperature because the evaporation of sweat off of the skin prevents us from overheating during an intense workout- Dr. Bowe
Now that I’ve convinced myself sweating is really, really good for my body and actually necessary… I will share my homemade deodorant recipe with you.
Here is the recipe I am currently using and after I will share a vegan adaptation for it. Currently I am making my deo with beeswax because I bought the beeswax before I went vegan. As someone who is trying to be aware of my waste I put into the world, I felt wrong disposing of something that shouldn’t have been made in the first place. So I no longer buy beeswax but until I run out I will continue to use it so the work stolen from the bees is not for naught.
Natural DIY Deo, (solid enough to be a deo stick in a tube, but I prefer to put mine in a jar and spread with my fingers)
Yield: 2-3 sticks of deo
- 2 Heaping Tablespoons Beeswax
- 1 Tablespoon Shea butter (optional)
- 5 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 1/4 Cup Arrowroot Powder or Cornstarch (I use cornstarch more)
- 1/4 Cup Baking Soda
- 10-15 drops of Tea Tree Essential Oil
- 10-15 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 10-15 drops Essential Oil of choice (I love Grapefruit for this)
Melt beeswax in double boiler, then add shea butter and coconut oil. Remove from heat and stir till mixed. Add arrowroot (or cornstarch) and baking soda and stir. Add essential oil and stir well. Pour slowly into container of choice, let cool. Enjoy!
Natual DIY Deo VEGAN
Yield: 1 portion
- 4 ounces (or about 1/2 Cup) Baking Soda
- 2 Ounces (or about 1/4 Cup) Arrowroot Powder or Corn Starch (I use cornstarch more)
- 1.5 Ounces (or about 1/4 Cup) Cocoa Butter
- 1 Ounce (or about 1/8 Cup) Coconut Oil
- 1 mL (or 10-15 drops) Tea Tree Essential Oil
- 1 mL (or 10-15 drops) Lavender Essential Oil
- 1 mL (or 10-15 drops) Essential Oil of choice (I love Grapefruit for this)
Melt cocoa butter and coconut oil in double boiler and mix well. Mix in essential oils then mix in arrowroot (or cornstarch) and baking soda. Pour in container of choice, let cool. Enjoy!
Thanks for reading, I hope we all can use the resources around us to make the best educated decisions for us.
Namaste, from my heart to yours,