Zucchini Protein Brownie
Apologies for the delay! This zucchini brownie recipe was inspired by a post I found on Pinterest for a simple, protein zucchini brownie yummy and healthy enough for breakfast. Bonus, it is vegan, free from added sugars and gluten! I was a little skeptical trying a zucchini brownie recipe, but it fulfilled every desire I had…
- Crispy Outer Layer
- Rich and Sweet
- Soft and Creamy Inside
- Cake Like Texture (versus a brownie texture)
- Hearty and Filling
I served this zucchini brownie recipe to my family with success. They don’t eat too much plant based Vegan, Gluten-Free food. They knew what was inside and even that didn’t stop them from enjoying it like a regular sweet treat. They all agree it had more of a cake texture than a brownie.
This zucchini brownie recipe had about 67 grams in the whole thing. When cut into 9 pieces, each piece has 7.4 grams protein. For more protein, you could slice it into 6 for 11.2 grams protein.
I like to eat this zucchini brownie in the morning before a workout. It’s small but heavy in my stomach to keep me full and also has blended plant sugars for natural energy. It’s also great for a post workout bring-to-the-gym snack. I like to consume protein almost immediately when I’m done lifting before I take my 5-10 min ride home. So I always bring some snack like nuts, seeds and protein brownies to boost muscle growth and improve recovery time.
Okay, enough delay… here it is! You will need a food processor for this. I think this would be difficult on a regular high-speed blender unless it had a powerful motor like a Ninja.
Zucchini Protein Brownies
Yield: 1 batch of 6-9 zucchini brownies, in an 8×8 pan, depending on cut
- 2 Cups Overripe Bananas, mashed (about 5-6 bananas)
- 1 Cup Smooth Nut Butter (32 grams protein)*
- 1 Cup Shredded Zucchini, moisture removed (about 1 large zucchini)
- 1/4 cup- 1/2 cup Cocoa Powder**
- 1/4 cup or 2-3 Scoops Vegan GF Protein Powder (32 grams protein)***
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds (3 grams protein, 2.5 grams omega 3)****
- Set oven to 350 Fahrenheit
- Peel and mash bananas in large bowl, I used a fork and it worked great
- Spiralize/shred zucchini with spiralizer or peeler, wrap shredded zucchini in paper towels to absorb extra moisture
- Add protein powder, vanilla and chia seeds
- Add cocoa powder slowly, see note below
- Add nut butter, see note below
- Press zucchini between paper towels to really get all extra moisture out then add to bowl
- Mix all ingredients then pour into a food processor and blend
- Coat bottom of an 8”x8” pan with a light layer of oil to prevent from sticking
- Pour in and even top layer
- Let bake for 25-30 mins, until top is kinda crispy and inside is clean when you use a toothpick to test
- Cool, cut and enjoy!
I stored these zucchini brownies wrapped on the counter for a few days, any more than that I would store these gems in fridge or freezer.
*If nut butter is very thick, melt on stove before use
**I like my brownies rich and dark so I use dark cocoa powder and use a little more than 1/4 cup if you like yours less dark and rich- use less cocoa powder!
***I am using a vanilla pea protein powder by 21 days
**** Chia seeds are not necessary but incredibly helpful for added nutrition like omega 3’s, fiber, carbs, and protein
I hope you make time to try this recipe if you do let me know how you like it in the comments below or tag me on IG @gratefulleats
Namaste, from my hungry heart to yours